The origins of the National University of Lesotho go back to April 8, 1945, when a Catholic University College was founded at Roma by the Roman Catholic Hierarchy of Southern Africa. The establishment of this College was a realisation of a decision taken in 1938 by the Synod of Catholic Bishops in South Africa to provide African Catholic students with post-matriculation and religious guidance.
The South African Government had declared its intention not to admit African students from outside South Africa into the University of Fort Hare, and the Natal Medical School (Wentworth) after December 31, 1953. Although this ban was relaxed for Basutoland students until 1958, the writing was on the wall.
National University of Lesotho Established in 1954 as the nucleus collection of the former PiusXIICollege, the Library moved to the current building that was constructed in 1964. The Library building was named after Thomas Mofolo when it became NUL Library.
National University of Lesotho Contact Details
Adventist University of Africa
Private Bag Mbagathi, 00503 Nairobi, Kenya
Telephone: (254) 20-660-3073, (254) 20-660-3000
National University of Lesotho Official Website: http://www.nul.ls/