Tallinna Tehnikaülikool (Estonian: Tallinna Tehnikaülikool, abbreviated TTÜ) is the only university of technology in Estonia, and one of the three most important institutions of higher education in Estonia generally. Opportunities had to be sought for engineering-minded people to acquire Estonian-based education adapted to local conditions and needs.
On 17 September 1918, the Estonian Engineering Society managed to open an Estonian-based engineering school named Special Engineering Courses. That date has been recognised as the founding date of Tallinn University of Technology. Programmes were offered in mechanical, electrical, civil and hydraulic engineering, shipbuilding and architecture. In 1919, the school became the private Tallinn College of Engineering, which in 1920 was declared a state institution. Teachers’ efforts to develop Estonian terminology for science and technology proved fruitful and the first engineering books were published. In 1923, the first engineering graduation theses were defended in Estonia. In the same year, a State laboratory of Materials Testing opened for research work.
By the 15 September 1936 Act of the Head of State, the school was granted the status of University, named Tallinn Technical Institute. The institute had two faculties: civil and mechanical engineering and chemistry and mining. In 1938, the name – Tallinn Technical University – was effective.
Ehitajate tee 5, 19086,
Tel: +372 620 2002
Tallinna Tehnikaülikool Official Website: http://www.ttu.ee/